Wednesday, November 04, 2009

Flu Vaccine Fears

Flu Vaccine Fears : Dry Bones cartoon.
Sometimes I long for the "good old days", when I was a kid. (In the long-ago time). Back then we thought that Medical Doctors were scientists and mini-gods. We trusted them.

Slang for something that was good for you was "just what the doctor ordered".

These days, American TV ads for the latest drug carry a fast-talking list of the unfortunate but possible side-effects of the stuff that they want you to get from your doctor. So the ad sells us the benefits and also warns us about the side-effects.

If it's up to us to decide what we want, and we don't know enough to make a rational decision, then it's no wonder that there's fear in every option.

Including the taking or shunning of the Swine Flu vaccine.

* * *

The last story I heard on the TV news in America was that the U.S. government was going to give the vaccine to the "detainees" at Guantanamo Bay. I'm sure that if I were one of those Gitmo prisoners I'd choose shunning rather than taking.

Labels: , , , , ,